John Borgy Danao
The Return of Godzilla by Toho and GMA Films
August 6, 2018 - March 15, 2019
Onanay (International title: The Way to Your Heart) is a 2018 Philippine television drama series broadcast by GMA Network. Directed by Gina Alajar and Joel Lamangan, it stars Jo Berry, Mikee Quintos and Kate Valdez.
It premiered on August 6, 2018 in the network's Telebabad line up replacing Kambal, Karibal. The series concluded on March 15, 2019 with a total of 160 episdes. It was replaced by Sahaya in its timeslot.
The series was given a rerun starting March 30, 2020, in the network's Afternoon Prime line up, temporarily replacing Prima Donnas due to the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic. The rerun ended on May 15, 2020.
|“||WELCOME TO BACOLOD CITY, 2018
Seven months after 'The Return of Godzilla', Onanay showcases the immeasurable power of love and how there is nothing that a mother wouldn’t do for her child.
— Official synopsis
Sisters Maila and Natalie have different approach to their mother, Onay who has Achondroplasia. Maila is a nice and attentive daughter, while Natalie is arrogant and disobedient. Besides their different upbringing, they have a different father as well.
The series' main setting takes place in Bacolod City, Philippines, seven months after the events of The Return of Godzilla in Manila. Some scenes take place at the province of Pampanga and in the Metro Manila area that is set in the years 1999 and 2000, just before the end of the 20th century.
Several scenes are also shown to be taking place in 2008, but its location were not mentioned.
The series briefly features the province of Batangas during a tropical storm.
Cast and characters
- Mikee Quintos as Maila Matayog Montenegro
- Kate Valdez as Natalie Montenegro / Rosemarie Montenegro
- Jo Berry as Ronalyn "Onay" Matayog-Montenegro
- Cherie Gil as Helena Sanchez-Montenegro
- Nora Aunor as Cornelia "Nelia" Dimagiba-Matayog
- Wendell Ramos as Lucas Samonte
- Rochelle Pangilinan as Sally del Mundo
- Vaness del Moral as Imelda Samonte
- Enrico Cuenca as Oliver Pascual
- Gardo Versoza as Dante Dimagiba
- Eunice Lagusad as Kiana Cruz
- Luis Alandy as Elvin Montenegro
- JC Tiuseco as Ronald
- Gilleth Sandico as Soleng
- Rein Adriano as young Maila
- Aliyah Flores as young Natalie / Rosemarie
- Marina Benipayo as Agatha Ocampo
- James Teng as James
- Jenzel Angeles as Louise Ocampo
- Liezel Lopez as Wendy
- Ayeesha Cervantes as Danica
- Sofia Pablo as Gracie Samonte
- Marnie Lapuz as Metring
- Pekto as Hector
- Marco Alcaraz as Vincent "Vince" Delgado
- Neil Ryan Sese as Emmanuel "Emman" Cruz
- Kier Legaspi as Vince's bodyguard
- Janna Victoria as Madel Cruz
- James Blanco as Mark
- Dominic Roco as Castro
- Shermaine Santiago as Marie Chu
- Angel Guardian as Chelsea
- Orlando Sol as Lando
The series was first announced on March 26, 2018, with a planned May 2018 release, but it was delayed to June 2018, then to August 2018. Originally titled as Extraordinary Love, it was later renamed to Onanay.
Most of the series were filmed in San Jose del Monte City, Bulacan, such as the scenes depicting the Bacolod Public Market. For the fictional "Bacolod Central University", scenes were filmed in University of Santo Tomas Manila campus, which is one of Asia's oldest universities. A scene was filmed at Bacolod's iconic The Ruins, but for unknown reasons, this scene was never shown in the series.
On June 5, 2018, the series' first teaser trailer is released. The series' second teaser trailer is released on June 8, 2018. The third teaser trailer is released on June 29, 2018. On July 19, 2018, it was announced that the series will premiere on August 6, 2018.
The series finally premiered on August 6, 2018.
Its original end date were either November or December 2018, but it was extended to February 2019.
The series was again announced to end on March 1, 2019, with the series having 150 episodes in total. On February 23, 2019, however, the series was again extended until March 15, 2019, giving it extra 10 episodes.
According to AGB Nielsen Philippines' Nationwide Urban Television Audience Measurement People in television homes, the pilot episode of Onanay earned an 11.6% rating. While the final episode scored a 14.8% rating, which is the series' highest rating.
|2019||33rd PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Primetime TV Series||Onanay||Pending|
|Best Drama Actress||Nora Aunor||Pending|
|Best Drama Supporting Actor||Wendell Ramos||Pending|
|Best New Female TV Personality||Jo Berry||Pending|
|Ecuador||TC Televisión||El amor más grande|
|Japan||Toho||The Way to Your Heart|
- Main article: Onanay/Gallery.
This is a list of references for Onanay. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: 
- This series marked as a major milestone for actress Kate Valdez as it is her first role as an antagonist in a television series.
- The series' main setting of Bacolod City, and the appearance of one character (Louise Ocampo) from The Return of Godzilla, suggests that this series takes place a few months after Godzilla's rampage in Manila, even though it is not mentioned in the series.
- Angel Guardian, also makes a brief appearance in the series as Chelsea, while in The Return of Godzilla, she portrays a character with the same name. It is unknown if she is the same character from the film, but it is unlikely, as Onanay takes place in Bacolod, not Manila, while her character in the film was killed on-screen.
- Manila, the Philippines' capital, is not mentioned or shown in the series either. Only a short appearance of Manila is shown, but it takes place in the year 2000, not 2018.
- On March 22, 2019, one week after the series ended, Toho finally announced that Onanay is officially considered as canon to the Return of Godzilla timeline, taking place seven months after the events in Manila. Due to the series' high ratings, it recieved international broadcast in various countries, with Toho also going to release the series in Japan as well.